Academy gramophones were the 'own brand' product of the Johnson Talking Machine Co.(1919) Ltd. and were typical of many gramophone brands in the 1920's, assembled from bought-in components and sold at prices that appealed to buyers who could not afford HMV or Columbia. (By 1930, Columbia had taken them over, and the Columbia influence is evident in late Academy Gramophones.
Fullotones were made by The Cabinet Gramophone Co., one of the many firms in the 1920s making cabinet gramophones using bought-in components.They were one of the largest such firms and were big enough to have Collaro motors, for example, made with the Fullotone name on them. Early soundboxes looked very like the HMV Exhibition, and carried the name Cabinet Gramophone Co. The company later became Fullotone Gramophones Ltd. and subsequently Fullotone Gramophones (1929) Ltd. In 1923, the Cabinet Gramophone Co was at 229 Great College Street, Camden Town, but by the late 1920s, Fullotone Gramophones Ltd. were at 73 Camden Road, N.W.1.